Shopper Research is a fast evolving discipline. Born of the age of Category Management, it’s fuelled by Industry consolidation and the resulting, ever increasing need for retailers and manufacturers to work together to optimise their joint business. If insights can be gained about the drivers and barriers of shopper purchasing, changes can be made that grows the category to the benefit of both parties.
The goal therefore of shopper research is to uncover objective information about how shoppers think, behave and make decisions. First and foremost is the need to measure whether we are giving shoppers what they want, and then we must uncover how they pass from need to purchase.
Understand shopper behavior to improve category management and shopper marketing outcomes.
An international, quantitative measurement research program which is based on interviewing shoppers, from all major categories, brands and retailers, in one cost efficient benchmarking process.
Organised in the way a retailer needs to think about the shopper, this data is a powerful enhancement to category planning and drives effective joint working between manufacturer and retailers; for a lower level of investment than custom shopper research. Its complementary to Panel, EPOS and Loyalty Card data which tells you what shoppers are buying, but not why they are buying it.
What does it provide?
- Puts ‘hard’ shopper measures into category planning
- Informs category vision, strategy and tactical plans
- Facilitates supplier — retailer joint working: top to top and day to day
- Provides a shopper “Key Performance Indicator” for category outcomes over time
- Create a category Scorecard
How is it used?
- Understand the characteristics of any category-segment or group of categories
- Compare retailers and channels
- Benchmark categories across the store
- Identify performance strengths and weaknesses
- Track change over time
- Shared platform so highly cost effective
- Robust and objective
- Range of standardised reporting — becomes familiar and simple to navigate
- On line reporting dashboard – easy to access and use
- Ability to see broad context for a category: where does it rank?
- Open visibility of differences by retailer
- One source used by both retailers and their suppliers
- Consistency year to year and category to category
We have the privilege of working with some of the most well known companies in the world and we don’t take this lightly.
The art of making comparisons to drive change.
If one retailer is performing less well than another that is clear and important insight for growth.
Understanding if we are doing better or worse than others is powerful information. Being able to see whether our category is working harder for the store than all others tells us what our recommendations should be about.
Track over time.
Benchmarking from year to year tells us about changes in the market place, trends in shopper needs and measures whether the changes we are making are achieving their desired goals.